Creative Math
Last week, while Paul and I were taking a walk with Joy around the trail near our house, we got to talking about going back to work and how we felt about it. Maybe it was to ease a little of the guilt we felt, but though various formulas we concocted, we figure that the time we "essentially" work boils down to seven months a year.
I know it seems far fetched, but we added up all the holiday time we get (teachers are spoiled in this respect), all the personal days we get, and all the extra hours that we can be with Joy because we can leave our jobs earlier than if we worked elsewhere. Add to that the fact that we can be home with her in the summer if we choose to do so and (via our creative math) we came up with seven months!!!
Hmmm...I wonder if I can teach this to my new kindergarteners, who start school tomorrow?
I know it seems far fetched, but we added up all the holiday time we get (teachers are spoiled in this respect), all the personal days we get, and all the extra hours that we can be with Joy because we can leave our jobs earlier than if we worked elsewhere. Add to that the fact that we can be home with her in the summer if we choose to do so and (via our creative math) we came up with seven months!!!
Hmmm...I wonder if I can teach this to my new kindergarteners, who start school tomorrow?

2 Comments:
At 1:27 PM,
Samantha said…
I'm all for creative math; it sounds a lot more generous than the old kind. I never did well with the old kind. ;)
At 8:43 PM,
Unknown said…
That's seeing the glass half full! Good job!
Post a Comment
<< Home