Jump for Joy!

Our journey to China to bring home our little one and beyond!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Tears for Joy

When we were in Chongqing, we were given a yellow plastic folder with photos and a diary of Joy while she was in the orphanage. It is almost like a scrapbook of sorts. Most of it is written in Chinese, with some translations from our guides in China. The pages are decorated with flowers and fancy designs and some English phrases, like, "I wishing you everything goes well...Tomorrow is another day...These are my friends..."

The photos start around the time she was taken in and end around the time we adopted her. An organization called "The Half the Sky Foundation" has a program of nannies that visit (or work) in the orphanages and at some point create these journals.

I have looked at the pages several times. Each time I look at them, I find myself concentrating on the familiar expressions and looking for the Joy that I now know. I read what they wrote and I think, "Yes, that sounds like her, she would have certainly done that at that age". At the same time, there is a sense of distance from these pages. Is this really her? I get a strong sense of sadness and longing. Why couldn't we know her then? Why couldn't that be me holding her? These rhetorical questions float around in my mind. I wonder about her birth family and what her first given name might have been. This folder is a part of her past that we don't know, that we can't know.

I looked at the photos again tonight and maybe it was Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" playing on the computer or maybe just enough time has passed since coming home and I can be more honest with my feelings, but, I found myself crying. Crying for the things that will always be a mystery for her, for the things that we know that are hard to think about, for the families she has left behind and finally for the joy she has brought to us.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mrs. Roo~
    I'm so touched by your blog. Joy is so lucky.
    ~Cheri

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I understand your pain because we were given photos of Ava taken by and with her foster family. It's strange to see your child in a different environment with people you don't even know. It felt like I was looking at photos of a dream where nothing makes sense.

    I'm sure Joy will appreciate the start of her Life Book when she is older. At least she will have a few photos to connect with her first year instead of an empty gap like most Chinese adoptees. Her Life Book shows someone cared about her and took photos to document the first year of her life knowing that she would be curious later. Hooray for Half the Sky Foundation.

    Lynette

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautifully put. The depth of a mother's love very much comes through your words. Beautiful.

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cried, and I only know you and Joy through your blog.
    Best, Gail

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Samantha said…

    Mary,

    What a moving post. Of course I relate to what you wrote completely, since I have that same yellow folder and that same gap. But I couldn't have expressed my feelings about it as beautifully as you did here, so thank you.

    Almost every day I have a moment where I hope that Joy and Jarrah will someday feel that a tiny chunk of their past is filled in by knowing each other here. I am so grateful for that connection.

    much love,
    Sam

    P.S. Funny, listening to particular songs totally influences my writing, too. :)

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Mary,
    I teared up as I read this entry as well...I am very touched!
    :)
    Amy

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mary,
    Oh boy... so touched by your blog....as you know, I was adopted too. I always felt that being adopted was special... I thought that my parents went to the "baby store" and PICKED ME out.

    But you wonder... and when I grew up, I asked my mom and dad if they knew anything about my biological parents. My mom said she knew I would want to know something some day - but the agency wouldn't tell her anything... so when the catholic charities worker left the office for a moment, my mom spun the file around and wrote down:

    Mother: Brown hair, hazel eyes, 5'6", hayfever, allergic to chocolate.
    Father: 6'1" brown hair, brown eyes, student... on that back of a check.

    That is all she could get. I didn't know it existed until I was an adult, but I was happy she got that slip of paper history and I kept it in a special spot for many years (before losing it in a house fire)

    Joy probably will want to know what ever you know... and you have so much more information than many people. I think I would have it translated by someone and save if for the day Joy asks you about it... she probably will.

    My mom broke the rules to get a little info for me. I am glad she was thoughtful and secure enough to get and share what little she could with me. SHE was my mom. She knew early, that she would be the one I go to to answer all my questions. You will be the one YOUR daughter comes to too!

    Joy is a lucky girl!!!

    -Trish W.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Mary. I understand exactly. I've been feeling much of the same as Ruby's first birthday lingers just around the corner and our one year letter to her birthmother is in looming. If only we could know her...
    This is all really, really big isn't it?
    WIth love.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mary!

    Thank you for your blog. You sum up the inevitable loss we all experience with toddler adoption: we do not get a chance to know our child from day one, and we do not get to know them during that precious "baby time" where they are cuddly, and are not hurling things at our heads ;-)wink!

    I struggle with the loss of Anton's first year too. We have three photos of him taken at approximately 9 months of age. People don't understand when I say I would saw off my right arm to have a picture of him at 1 month, 2 months, .........it goes on.

    I dream of what Anton was like in the maternity hospital. When I see pictures of friends' newborns, I struggle to conjure up an image of Anton at that age, and am sad that I was not there to see him.

    I think it is o.k. to grieve this loss. I am grateful that Anton came to us when he did, but there is still loss involved. I have been told, more or less, to be grateful that I have Anton at all----and believe me I am, but grieving his baby time (and Joy's), does not make us ungrateful adoptive parents---just parents who wanted the whole package like anyone else.

    Thank you for bringing up this topic---it has been difficult to articulate my feelings on this (and now they will live forever on your blog! :-)).

    Walking this journey with you----

    Love, Lisa
    xxxooo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home