Payback
Well, I know what they say about payback, but I promised myself to keep this blog really clean.
We are done with the first "week" of preschool. I say "week" because it was only four days. It seemed like a "month", though. Apparently, Joy is really good at preschool, but when we come home all the anxiety comes straight out. The behaviors that were challenging after coming home from China have come back. Putting her in any kind of chair, diapering, brushing her teeth, all elicit tantrums that frankly, scare me. The intensity reminds me of day we met, with her arching back, crying and screaming.
I am not trying to be dramatic here, but I wonder if she is thinking, "Where am I? Back in some kind of orphanage?"
Last night was really hard as she refused to eat dinner, screaming in her highchair and throwing everthing on the ground. We finally gave up, gave her a bottle, which helped somewhat, and put her bed.
Strange enough, tonight, though was better. She seemed almost back to her old self. I wonder if that is because she is getting used to preschool or if somehow, she knew it was Friday. Maybe it was because we stopped at 7/11 and got her a slurpee. Whatever the reason, I was thankful that for tonight, I had my baby back.
We are done with the first "week" of preschool. I say "week" because it was only four days. It seemed like a "month", though. Apparently, Joy is really good at preschool, but when we come home all the anxiety comes straight out. The behaviors that were challenging after coming home from China have come back. Putting her in any kind of chair, diapering, brushing her teeth, all elicit tantrums that frankly, scare me. The intensity reminds me of day we met, with her arching back, crying and screaming.
I am not trying to be dramatic here, but I wonder if she is thinking, "Where am I? Back in some kind of orphanage?"
Last night was really hard as she refused to eat dinner, screaming in her highchair and throwing everthing on the ground. We finally gave up, gave her a bottle, which helped somewhat, and put her bed.
Strange enough, tonight, though was better. She seemed almost back to her old self. I wonder if that is because she is getting used to preschool or if somehow, she knew it was Friday. Maybe it was because we stopped at 7/11 and got her a slurpee. Whatever the reason, I was thankful that for tonight, I had my baby back.

4 Comments:
At 10:22 PM,
Samantha said…
I feel better after a Slurpee, too. ;)
Jarrah also threw her dinner on the floor tonight. I hate that.
Maybe she is not feeling well? Jarrah was a complete beast for a week and then, suddenly, was better. But it was a long week. One of those month-weeks.
I hope next week is better!
At 11:02 PM,
Jenn said…
Hi Mary and Paul,
If it makes you feel any better two of our friends have toddlers (2 1/2 years old) that started pre-school this week. Both of them are great at school and love it but throw tantrums in the afternoon when they get home. One screams the whole way home and has begun hitting his sister just because. So maybe it's their age a little bit that contributes to knowing to be good in preschool and letting it all out at home? I hope that makes you feel a wee bit better. Big hugs, Jennifer T-L
At 12:36 PM,
Unknown said…
Change is hard! She's probably tired when she gets home, but good tired. What would you tell a kinder-mom whose child was doing the same thing?
I like frozen concoctions too, but the kind Jimmy Buffet sings about with salt around the rim!
Jump for Joy all weekend!
At 7:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Mary,
I read in a book once that if you child is well behaved with others and acts up with you, take it as a compliment because she feels so comfortable with you! I didn't find it too comforting but... I am sure she is just getting used to school and having to be so good all day! Good luck getting back to work. You are right to be grateful for your 7 month schedule too. Love, Aubyn
Post a Comment
<< Home