Yin and Yang
Yin-shady place, north slope, south river bank; cloudy, overcast.
Yang-sunny place, south slope, north river bank, sunshine.
Most of the time, Joy is a real "joy" to be around. Sometimes, though, we wonder. "Are all parents going through the same thing?"
Joy demands her chocolate "ni-ni" (milk in Mandarin). She gets upset because a straw is already in the cup. "I wanted to put the straw in! I don't want blue straw, I want yellow one!!" She begins to growl like a bear. She jumps up and down in her seat, almost falling backwards. She insists that "Mo-mee" come and pick her up. Tantrum ensues. Later moments in the day include chasing kitty and then getting mad that kitty runs away.
Morning Yang:
Joy wakes up singing a song. It has recognizable words, but a tune all her own. It could be about the sun going up and the moon coming down. She gives kisses to us and "big hugs." She finds kitty and gently pets her. She sits nicely in her chair and eats everything we put in front of her, asking for more. She makes her daily "wish" and watches the birds eating from the feeder out front. She gladly puts on any outfit we present with no arguing or request for THE pink dress that is way too small for her. Later moments include phrases like, "Momma, I love you so much because I love you."
Afternoon Yin:
Nap time rolls around and is met with no less than ten or so demands. "I want watch T.V. in mommy's room. Where is my turtle? I want my weremaid (mermaid)! I don't want to wear clothes. I am cold! Mo-mee lay down, too! I need to go potty! I need water. I need to go potty (again). I don't want that blankie. I want my other blankie. No! Not that one!" Nap time eventually happens after a LOT of tossing and turning (possibly due to all of the stuffed animals in her bed) and long sighs from either Mo-mee or Da-dee, or both.
Afternoon Yang:
Joy yawns, asks for some milk, requests two or so books before climbing in bed unassisted with only one blankie, turns on her side and falls asleep instantly. Mo-mee and Da-dee give silent thumbs up and exit her room.
Evening Yin:
Joy refuses most of her dinner, demanding candy from her Easter basket, "SHOCK-IT BUNNY!" Several attempts later, she takes tiny mouse-sized nibbles from something covered in cheese, possibly containing at most ten or so calories. She insists that we turn on the T.V. (I know, we have no one to blame but ourselves for that one.) Water is tipped, dripped or otherwise spilled onto a plate, bowl, place mat or the floor. Mo-mee steps in the water in her socks...not so pleasant, but at least it cleans it up. Bedtime mimmicks much of "Afternoon Yin" with M0-mee and Da-dee roshambo-ing about who gets to accompany Joy to the potty.
Evening Yang
We enjoy a quiet dinner with the three of us sharing about our days, with quotes like, "How was your day at school, Mommy?" and, "Dis is yummy, where you get it?" We relax watching the Goodnight Gorilla DVD in Mommy and Daddy's room and then end the evening with reading books and listening to Chinese Lullabies.
Some Yin Photos:
My Yang Girl:
She definitely brings Yang to our lives. And, in this world, where Yin seems to surround us, that is a wonderful thing.

3 Comments:
At 11:29 AM,
T. said…
Oh Mary, isn't that just what motherhood is all about? Life with children has its ups and downs. With motherly successes, there are failures; with joys, sorrows; with laughter, tears. But in the end, the tiniest little good things FAR outweigh even the hardest moments and even the stress of the worst moment melts away when your beautiful child hugs you.
At 9:12 PM,
Anonymous said…
Loved this post! On my nightstand: Your 3 Year Old, Friend or Enemy? One of my favorite suggestions so far is that sometimes it's just best to hire a babysitter as much as possible. !!??!
xoxo
s
At 2:43 PM,
Samantha said…
What an inventive list! You are all set for NaBloPoMo! :)
I can SOOOO relate. No wonder they needed to invent both words. Whoever did must have lived with toddlers! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home