Jump for Joy!

Our journey to China to bring home our little one and beyond!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Summer Stories

I really am a "once in a while blogger". Oh well. I have been meaning to write about our summer happenings. Every morning at school, I tell the "Joy Story". I am a bit out of practice and since school is starting soon, I had better start. Here is a brief recap of some recent events:

BIG BEAR

A few weeks ago, we joined Sam, David and Jarrah in a weekend visit to Big Bear. We were able to borrow a cabin from some friends, which made the trip convenient and affordable. Despite some "sibling" rivalry between Joy and Jarrah (can't blame them, they were off their schedules) we had a really nice time. For a great post on the "vacay", check out Sam's blog here.

Joy and Jarrah continue to be thrill seekers (or maybe just naive two-year olds). One of the best things we did in Big Bear was to ride on the Alpine Slides. They are two one-quarter mile long tracks. The fiberglass half pipes zig zag down a steep and gentle sloop and allow you to go as fast or as slow as you like (very good for a fearful mommy). The girls could not get enough! Every time we came to a screeching halt at the bottom, we were met with a chorus of "Want MORE!" I think we rode at least five times. The scariest part of the ride was not the slide itself, but the ride up to the top of the hill on a chair lift. We stayed up late (9:00!) to catch the last ride down the mountain. It felt summery and special with the warm air and the full moon above us.

We took a boat ride on the lake, too, and that came in as a close second. The boat was new and comfortable. The girls seemed enjoy exploring. Jarrah was especially cute pointing out that Nemo was somewhere down below in the lake. That fish really gets around!

Since photos speak louder than words (in my case), here are some of the cutest from the trip:

Dancing before, after and during dinner!

Pretty Girls:



Anything can be a toy:
THE Slide!




A sweet little nearby town's annual festival:

Yummy...slushies!
Some furry friends at the festival:
Road Warriors:
Bath, Bed and Beyond:

On the Boat:
Looking for Nemo!


On the trip home, finally napping at 6:30!!

First Swimming Lessons:

Jarrah and Joy took their first swim lessons together at the Toby Wells YMCA. Joy really loves the water. She went under for the first time! I think they liked the pizza lunches (post swimming) even more.

July Fourth-Toddler Style

We didn't make it to the fireworks this year. At first, I thought it was doable. Then, I remembered that they don't start until 9:00. As Paul put it, "Staying out until 11:00 on purpose may not be such a good idea." Instead, we celebrated early on in the day with friends from our playgroup at fantastic gathering hosted by our friends Lisa and James. Here are a few photos:

July Fourth Cuties!

Here is the thing about the "Matchy Outfits". It is a LOT easier to get Joy (and Jarrah) dressed when they know they will be "matchy". We learned that early on! We are not trying to make them look like twins, but, we do get that question quite often.

Love or hate them, Crocs look cute on kids. I think they were made for toddlers!

Just about the cutest photo of Jarrah that I have taken.
More Photos, just because!

Joy in a sea of stuffed animals:


My Furry Baby:

Down the slide at My Kid's Clubhouse (We really need one of these in Encinitas. I keep begging friends to open one up with me!):

Here is to the rest of summer! Let's hope it goes by slowly!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Samantha said…

    Wow! I am smiling from ear to ear reliving all the fun summer stuff!

    And I think that pink pajama shot is the one we should send CCAI. ;)

    Great post!

    xoxoxo
    S

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger T. said…

    Thanks so much for the summer catch-up. I love the matchy outfits AND the swapped shoes. I started swapping my twins shoes back in the 80's. Every picture I have of them back then has them with a red and blue Converse each. Then my daughter had to start doing it (a-la Punky Brewster) so she wore one purple and one pink one. Pre-crock days. :-)

    XOXOX

    It was so nice seeing you over the summer AND finally meeting Sam and Jarrah!

    Maybe Henry and Laura should start swapping shoes. A sparkly one and an Ugg. yeah.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home