Old Post
This one is from the end of September. Things are better now as far as sleeping goes. Joy is still adjusting to preschool, but seems to enjoy it!
---
As I write, Joy is taking a early nap. Today she woke up around 5:30. So, it is no surprise that five hours later she is ready. Apparently, as we have read in some baby books, "Sleep begets sleep". It seems to me that this is true. Joy is having trouble napping at preschool. Sometimes we get lucky and she naps for an hour or more. But, most likely we get the written report that she did "NOT (underlined) nap well".
It is frustrating to hear that she did not nap. On some days we put her to bed at 6:00 or 6:30 and that helps. But then, the drawback is that we don't get to spend too much time with her. By the time we get home, feed her dinner, give her a bottle (yes, she still has a bottle-I feel strongly about that toddler adoption tactic) and read her a book or give her bath, it is bedtime. The time we do have at home is usually full of mini temper tantrums until we finally get her down for the night.
One thing that has gotten a little better is what I call the "Night Terrors". Paul and I disagree whether she is waking up due to having a terror. But, from what I hear and read, it sounds like one to me. When she has one, she wakes up screaming. When I go in to check on her, she is always standing up and pointing to something in the room. Holding her, shushing her, rubbing her belly, anything and everything we try doesn't work.
Opps...she's up!!! Where is Mr. Sandman when you need him?
---
As I write, Joy is taking a early nap. Today she woke up around 5:30. So, it is no surprise that five hours later she is ready. Apparently, as we have read in some baby books, "Sleep begets sleep". It seems to me that this is true. Joy is having trouble napping at preschool. Sometimes we get lucky and she naps for an hour or more. But, most likely we get the written report that she did "NOT (underlined) nap well".
It is frustrating to hear that she did not nap. On some days we put her to bed at 6:00 or 6:30 and that helps. But then, the drawback is that we don't get to spend too much time with her. By the time we get home, feed her dinner, give her a bottle (yes, she still has a bottle-I feel strongly about that toddler adoption tactic) and read her a book or give her bath, it is bedtime. The time we do have at home is usually full of mini temper tantrums until we finally get her down for the night.
One thing that has gotten a little better is what I call the "Night Terrors". Paul and I disagree whether she is waking up due to having a terror. But, from what I hear and read, it sounds like one to me. When she has one, she wakes up screaming. When I go in to check on her, she is always standing up and pointing to something in the room. Holding her, shushing her, rubbing her belly, anything and everything we try doesn't work.
Opps...she's up!!! Where is Mr. Sandman when you need him?

3 Comments:
At 5:27 PM,
Unknown said…
Just keep snuggling. :) Even when she's exhausted and seemingly inconsolable, she's getting the message that she's safe and loved. Mr. & Mrs. Roo, you're the best.
At 9:15 PM,
Mary said…
Thanks Cheri!
OX,
Mrs. Roo
At 10:16 PM,
T. said…
Henry had night terrors. This started when Frank and I separated. For Joy, maybe it is left over from the orphanage days. She just needs to know that you are there and not going anywhere. With all the love you give her, this too shall pass.
Post a Comment
<< Home