Family Day
Wow...so much has happened this past month. We have been busy back at school and Joy is growing faster than I think she ever has. She talks more and more and understands most that we tell her. We are really amazed and enthralled and totally smitten with her.
Today marks the one-year anniversary of our first day as a family together. How can it be a year already? The first couple of months that we were home seemed to go nice and slow and now, summer is already six months ago.
One year ago today, we woke up at 6 a.m. and packed and repacked our diaper bag. We may have had some quick breakfast, I can't remember. We boarded a bus with seven other families and listened to Marie tell us about the babies and Chongqing. I don't remember much except for the lessons on the bottle preparations and rubbing their tummies after a meal. When we arrived at the orphanage, we were indescribably nervous. and were told that we would have some time to see the rooms and then meet the babies. We were totally surprised to see them right away as we walked up the stairs. We searched the group for Joy and saw Jarrah first. Then, we saw her. We were "first" and Joy was handed to me. Her nanny repeated over and over "mama, baba, mama, baba" which meant mommy and daddy. She screamed and threw her whole body back. I nearly dropped her! I guess I wasn't prepared for her to react so strongly. As we drove back to the hotel for a rest before going to the civil affairs office, she sat quietly on my lap, as did all of the babies, and ate Cheerios and Goldfish from my hand. It was the single most amazing journey we have ever taken.
Today we celebrated by taking (another journey) on the Amtrak to San Juan Capistrano with Sam, David and Jarrah. We knew that the town was supposed to be cute (it was) and that we would eat lunch somewhere. But, we were all really surprised to see just how cute it was, how close everything was to the train depot and the cutest thing of all in SJC ... a petting zoo.
I can't think of anything cuter than toddlers feeding carrots to bunnies and guinea pigs. Our visit to the petting zoo was our own version of cute overload. I am still getting over the momma and baby goat that loved having their chins scratched.
Joy loved feeding the animals and was very gentle. It almost seemed like she was making her way around the paddock, trying to meet them all. (Which would be impossible, as there must have been at least 100 bunnies and guineas in there.)
Today was also her first pony ride. Yes, we did it all, including the teeny train inside the petting zoo as well! I am excited to go back and we decided to make a trip there every year to celebrate.
When I think back a year ago, I remember how nervous I was about her. I still get nervous, but about different things. I no longer worry about her runny nose, naps, how much she has eaten or her diaper rash. I don't think about what kind of bib or car seat is the best (I know). Instead, I think about the future. What kind of person will Joy grow up to be? Will she be happy? Will she call us? Will she come and visit? I know, I better slow down and savor today.
Happy Family Day Baby Girl. And, Happy Family Day to Sam, David and Jarrah, who were there with us and who feel just like family to us.
Labels: Family

3 Comments:
At 10:30 PM,
Samantha said…
I'm all sniffly here. Happy Family Day to you, dear family.
I got chills reading the part about the stuff you know now vs. the stuff you wonder about. That really resonates for me, too.
Love and hugs and guinea pigs!
Sam
At 9:56 AM,
Anonymous said…
What a lovely blog!
Love the photos of the two cowgirls & them with their arms around each other. They're growing up to be buddies!
Oh, yes, they'll come home - and you'll always be "Mom" no matter how old they get. ;)
Best, Gail
At 9:34 PM,
Anonymous said…
Belated Happy Family Day! thanks for sharing those first days with us in Chongqing. It was, and continues to be an amazing journey, having these precious litle girls tun our lives upside down (in a good way!)
Blessings,
Kim, Michael and Roomie (Sedona LePing)
Post a Comment
<< Home